Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thursday in Santa Barbara

I feel like Typhoid Mary, spreading the good cheer of 24-hour flu throughout the State of California. My cousin, Tim, called me up last night to let me know he had it and couldn't make Day 2 of his trade show as a result. And my Aunt Mary had it starting last night. I have no idea where I might have picked this up, but apparently it's the gift that keeps on giving. I feel guilty for being the carrier. I guess it wasn't the prosciutto. I sure hope none of my other family members end up with it. I'll never be invited back.

Yesterday, I went in search of cool tee shirts at Santa Barbara Harley Davidson. I think this is a Harley thing, acquiring tee shirts while on a trip. I can't envision a Kawasaki or Honda owner doing the same thing, but maybe they do. Regardless, I showed up and was the only person in the entire store. There were four or five sales guys on the floor, having their own conversation. I started looking at bikes, waiting to see how long it would take before anyone approached me. They had a really nice Street Glide that I was examining pretty closely. SBHD must be rolling in dough and customers, because not one single person spoke to me while I was there. Compare and contrast this to Golden Gate Harley Davidson, where everyone there made me feel welcome and was interested in me, my bike and my trip. Dunno if it's because I'm female, but the SBHD folks sure leave a lot to be desired.

It's raining today, which totally foils my plan for exploring Santa Barbara on my bike. Yes, I can ride in the rain and have the gear for it. But it's nowhere near as much fun as the gorgeous weather we had yesterday. I'm leaving tomorrow, rain or shine.

After reading the LA Times this morning, I am profoundly glad to no longer live in California. The State government is so broke they are issuing IOU's for State tax refunds, can't afford to reimburse their workers for their travel expenses incurred as part of doing their jobs, and may not be able to issue disability checks. The list just goes on. Washington's problems pale in comparison, despite our own looming deficit. The bad news just keeps on coming with regard to the employment situation everywhere. May all of us who are in that situation find work sometime soon.

1 comment: