Sunday, February 1, 2009

Marin County

I didn't ride as much yesterday, which was actually a good break. I took Sir Francis Drake from San Anselmo out to Point Reyes. I have to say that the stretch of twisty road that goes along Taylor Creek and by Samuel P. Taylor Park has to be some of the worst pavement I've ever ridden. I don't believe it's been repaved since it was first put in. It was so bad that I could hear my gremlin bell ringing over the sound of my loud pipes and through earplugs. That's bad! It also required intense concentration. The bike handles differently with a heavy pack on it, and there was no way I was going over the speed limit.

Point Reyes was gorgeous. The green grass is coming in, it was sunny, the pavement improved, the ocean was deep blue, the cows were content. Stopped at Drake's Beach for a bit, then headed toward Petaluma, also on back roads. Coming down into Petaluma, there's one stretch of the road that is very, very twisty with a steep hairpin turn posted at 15 mph. And it was thick with motorcyclists off to the side, the police measuring out skid marks, a hole in the fence and a departing ambulance. Talk about sobering. It gives me the willies when I see something like this. And it probably makes me a better rider, being more cognizant of my countersteering. My guess is he came into the turn too fast. I hope he's okay.

I'm at my cousin Tim's house, getting ready to watch the Superbowl with them and then heading to my friend Maureen's house. It's a beautiful day, and life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment