Friday, February 6, 2009

A Hard Day's Rain

380 miles of rain. God, what a ride. This was a mentally grueling day, the kind of day that you just have to power through. There were occasions where I was truly scared, when the rain and spray being kicked up by semi trucks made it impossible to see without peering around my windshield.

I had gear problems, too. Purportedly waterproof gloves, weren't. They're electric, and the elements kept my fingers warm despite being sopping wet. I was really hoping they wouldn't short out, with my hands ending up in flames. And my waterproof boots weren't. I got plastic bags at Denny's and wrapped my wool sock clad feet in them. It's an old biker trick, to stay warm. It works. Kind of.

On the other hand, there were moments of great beauty. The mist against the sandstone cliffs near Gaviota. The seamless blending of sky into sea. The velvet green of farmland stretching as far as they eye can see. There are aspects of California that I miss. Mostly, I miss my friends and family. It's been good to reconnect.

1 comment: